Uncomfortable

Every week I gather with the students who are part of my Campus Ministry team. These are great opportunities for me to build connections with the teenagers, hear what they are going through, and help aid them on their faith journey. These are also critical moments for me to get their help with the religious activities within the school and be of service to them in anyways I can. 

When I get together with the 30 students, I always start off with a prayer, of course. I never do off-the-cuff prayers. Instead each week I introduce them to a different prayer from our church's rich history. I have done prayers from St. Augustine, St. Francis,  St. Patrick, among others. Recently I led them to pray the "The Litany of Humility." If you have never prayed it, here it is: 

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed,
Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved...Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being extolled ...Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being honored ...Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being praised ...Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being preferred to others...Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being consulted ...Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being approved ...Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being humiliated ...Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being despised...Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of suffering rebukes ...Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being calumniated ...Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being forgotten ...Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being ridiculed ...Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being wronged ...Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being suspected ...Deliver me, Jesus.
That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be esteemed more than I ...Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That, in the opinion of the world,
others may increase and I may decrease ...Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be chosen and I set aside ...Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be praised and I unnoticed ...Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be preferred to me in everything...Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should…Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. Amen 
 

 The Litany of Humility, in its current form, is authored by Cardinal Rafael Merry del Val, who worked under Pope Pius X.  I think it is a beautiful prayer which is challenging and difficult to pray, but so important for us to sit with, and understand. 

So my first question to the students was, " Who found that prayer uncomfortable?" Every hand in the room was raised. I said, "Exactly." It should make us uncomfortable! It is supposed to challenge us and challenge the habits, views and approaches we take in regard to the world,  others, and most importantly ourselves.  

We want to be praised for our good work. We want to be loved. We want to be extolled and recognized. We are fearful of being wronged, forgotten, or suspected of things we didn't do. But this prayer forces us to be uncomfortable and to be delivered from these things. It is not the case that these things are bad, in themselves, but that they can get in the way of loving others, of extolling others, and of loving others. 

Jesus always called us to be other-focused. He challenged us to focus on others and on God, more than ourselves.  He challenged us to search for more than security, exultation, and honour. He challenged us to search and focus on others and not on ourselves. 

Sit with this prayer. Pray this prayer. Be uncomfortable and challenge yourself to grow in the spirit of humility. 


Mike 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgive... Not Seven times but Seventy Seven times

I Introduce to you, Jesus!