Skip to main content

The Silence Broken

     I remember I was walking home from my bus stop on the Wednesday after holy week, and like the disciples on the road to emmaus, I was thinking about all the dramatic events that took place ( It so happened that story of the Road to Emmaus was the Gospel of that day.) As I walked down my street I noticed that I couldn't hear anything. I couldn't hear the numerous cars and busses at the end of the street, I couldn't hear the birds chirp, or even my own foot prints. Accepting the fact that I may have just gone deaf I continued to think about the greatness of last week.

     I began to think about the silence during holy week. The awkward silence as Jesus said one of them would betray him, or when he told Peter that he would deny him three times. I thought of the confused silence they had in the garden as they waited for the Lord to pray and the shocked silence  when the crowds condemned Jesus to crucificion. I thought of the silence while Jesus carried his cross, and that scared silence when Jesus was cruicified and died. I imagined the deep silence of Holy Saturday with Christ in the tomb. Again I was filled with the thought of the believing silence the apostles felt when they saw the empty tomb.  Then I thought of the frightful  silence the apostles felt as they gathered in the locked room. Finally, I thought about the calming silence when Jesus appeared among them.
Image result for the last supper original painting secrets
Source

     It was this silence that defined the apostles journey through the salvific events of Christ. It was silence that lead them throughout this week. Their silence had many faces and not all bad. Silence can speak a language that we do not understand right away, but rather one that is contemplated and understood in the heart. For example, the calming silence when Jesus appeared and ate fish with his disciples or when he called them on the sea shore and none of them dare ask if it was Jesus because they all knew. Their silence was a silence of awe  and of faith. 

     As I stood in front of my house, the sun broke through the clouds and trees and shone directly in my path, with a cooling breeze of wind. At that moment one thought had filled my mind; Jesus is resurrected. With that thought, a great big smile appeared on my face.

    We read in the Gospels, that after this great period of time of silence, the disciples were told to break it. They were to GO out and proclaim the good news. Silent, was to be the last thing they were. Right before Jesus ascended into heaven he told his disciples to go out and make disciples. He told them to share the experiences they had just experienced and to spread that joy.  It was now time for them to take these times of silence that they took in the events, and share it with the world. After their silence had spoken, they must now go and act, to believe and to share.

    Easter is the time when the silence of lent, the silence of Holy week is broken. We are people of the resurrection- of the Ascension! We are a people called by God to proclaim to the world his love and the amazement of the resurrection!

    Do I give myself times of silence with God to pray and center myself?

    How much silence do I give myself in my life?

    What are the faces of silence in my life?

     How do I break the silence of fear of proclaiming the Gospel with my life?







Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter!
Follow us on Bloglovin’
Follow us of Networkedblogs
Click Here to go back Home
Send me an email at: praytogodtoday at gmail dot com



 

   

     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgive... Not Seven times but Seventy Seven times

21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?” 22 Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.
Matthew 18:21-22 
It's very hard to forgive. Forgiveness is essential to our life here on earth. Jesus gave us the perfect example of forgiveness while he was on earth. Jesus loved us so much that he bore all our sins on the cross that goes before us. Every wrong we have done; every pain has become  A LOT LIGHTER because Jesus bore it before us.
Jesus is asked by his own, disciples, how many times should they forgive. Because they know that they have to forgive, and they know they everyone does wrong, but how much is enough? We need to draw a line right? No.
Jesus tells us that we shouldn't just forgive seven times. He told us to forgive 77 times. Or 77 X 7 times. Which is a more perfect number. Jesus told us that we must forgive has many times that someone does wrong. …

Feed My Sheep

During this Easter season we are given the opportunity to listen and reflect on the word of God from the Gospel of John. For the third and final time this weekend, we will hear a post-resurrection appearance of Christ to his apostles. It is through these appearances that Christ proves his resurrection, dispels the darkness of doubt in his apostle’s mind, and commissions them to make known the love and joy of these events to the world.

The Gospel this weekend tells us that after the death and resurrection of Christ, the disciples have returned to fishing, as they once did before they followed Christ. These skilled fishermen do not catch anything all night, until a man comes on the shore of the beach and tells them to cast their net on the right side of the boat, and they catch an abundance of fish, that the net should have broke, but it did not. After they caught these fish, the apostles realized that it was the Lord, who has now called them a second time from their job of fishing to …

Fishers of Men

I have had the pleasure recently to start teaching again the First Penance and Eucharist at my Parish. It is always  a great time for me to know that I am laying the seeds of God in their heart and knowing that I am preparing them for a once-in-life-time event.  I love seeing the kids who are earnest to learn and who want to be there.

     In todays' Gospel, we are presented with an overview of Jesus life. Jesus does three distinctive things, that Matthew wraps up very quickly. He teaches, proclaims, and heals. These three unfold for us what we can expect from Jesus during his life time.  However, before he begins his own life and mission one thing had to happen- the Death of John the Baptist. John, we know, was the last of the Prophets and his main mission was to make sure people were finally ready for the King  to come. Jesus, therefore, couldn't start until the paths were made straight.

     Jesus mission on earth is the great light that has appeared in the darkness. In…