Skip to main content

A is For....

     Today starts the 30 day, April A-Z Challenge. This challenge requires that we, the participates, post a blog post everyday, except Sundays, based on the alphabet. (However since I normally do posts on Sunday, they will still be posted) This is my third year doing this challenge, and I am looking forward to it. My first year was an absolute fail. I got to the letter v, and then failed to complete. Last year, I was good all month, until the last day when I posted it a day late. This year, I plan to do the challenge perfectly. Third time the charm right?

     I will be honest, I had a hard time choosing the topic this year. But after contemplation, I have decided to do the theme, " Journey to the Priesthood-the young years" You never really hear of the successes and difficulties of priests discerning the call in their young age-and maybe there is a reason why that I haven't figured out.

     I hope that by the end of this month you will have figured out the journey that I have gone through in the stretch to become a priest. I hope that this month you will learn something about the feelings, and journey that has been my life and my dream to become a priest.

A IS FOR ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

   As interesting and fun it would be to tell people that my calling to the priesthood was like Pauls' conversion, it is the exact opposite of that. It really happened over a good week or so. I remember sitting in my Grade One Classroom and we were working on a craft and at the same time the teacher was talking to us. She was talking about things we want to do-things that interest us. Me,  not knowing exactly what to say, and watching a garbage truck go by the window, so I shouted, " I WANT TO BECOME A GARBAGE MAN!"

     Mind you, all my life from that point, (So since kindergarten) I had been very interested in the Mass. I would always talk to the priest before mass, check with the music ministry coordinator to see what number the opening hymn would be, and always get my parents to lift me up so I could see over all the tall people.
I would have to say, it was the weekend after I shouted in class that I wanted to become a garbage man, that I promised myself, and made the decision to become a priest.  Here I am  years later, with plans to go into seminary in a couple of years.

     But it all starts with the ACKNOWLEDGEMENT of the calling. God doesn't call people today like he did with  Paul. God speaks in the silence. God is a gentleman, he whispers his calls and waits patiently for us to answer. But it never stops at one decision.  It is through constant prayer and communication with God that one becomes a priest. Through constant growth and discernment.

   

Comments

  1. Believe and you shall be saved, can't wait for the rest of the alphabet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! The rest of the alphabet is coming soon! ;)

      MIKE

      Delete
  2. Great post! It's best to be true to ourselves and acknowledge our calling in life! ~ Angela, A to Z participant from Web Writing Advice and Whole Foods Living

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You for your comment and for stopping by! It is everyone's vocation to acknowledge their call in life and to fulfill it!

      MIKE

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful and informative theme you've chosen. i'm looking forward to mire. And thanks for visiting my blog, Mike.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello,

I hope you enjoyed the Post, and enjoyed the Blog. If you have something you want to say, you are invited to leave a comment below! I love reading all the comment!

MIKE

Popular posts from this blog

Forgive... Not Seven times but Seventy Seven times

21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?” 22 Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.
Matthew 18:21-22 
It's very hard to forgive. Forgiveness is essential to our life here on earth. Jesus gave us the perfect example of forgiveness while he was on earth. Jesus loved us so much that he bore all our sins on the cross that goes before us. Every wrong we have done; every pain has become  A LOT LIGHTER because Jesus bore it before us.
Jesus is asked by his own, disciples, how many times should they forgive. Because they know that they have to forgive, and they know they everyone does wrong, but how much is enough? We need to draw a line right? No.
Jesus tells us that we shouldn't just forgive seven times. He told us to forgive 77 times. Or 77 X 7 times. Which is a more perfect number. Jesus told us that we must forgive has many times that someone does wrong. …

Feed My Sheep

During this Easter season we are given the opportunity to listen and reflect on the word of God from the Gospel of John. For the third and final time this weekend, we will hear a post-resurrection appearance of Christ to his apostles. It is through these appearances that Christ proves his resurrection, dispels the darkness of doubt in his apostle’s mind, and commissions them to make known the love and joy of these events to the world.

The Gospel this weekend tells us that after the death and resurrection of Christ, the disciples have returned to fishing, as they once did before they followed Christ. These skilled fishermen do not catch anything all night, until a man comes on the shore of the beach and tells them to cast their net on the right side of the boat, and they catch an abundance of fish, that the net should have broke, but it did not. After they caught these fish, the apostles realized that it was the Lord, who has now called them a second time from their job of fishing to …

Fishers of Men

I have had the pleasure recently to start teaching again the First Penance and Eucharist at my Parish. It is always  a great time for me to know that I am laying the seeds of God in their heart and knowing that I am preparing them for a once-in-life-time event.  I love seeing the kids who are earnest to learn and who want to be there.

     In todays' Gospel, we are presented with an overview of Jesus life. Jesus does three distinctive things, that Matthew wraps up very quickly. He teaches, proclaims, and heals. These three unfold for us what we can expect from Jesus during his life time.  However, before he begins his own life and mission one thing had to happen- the Death of John the Baptist. John, we know, was the last of the Prophets and his main mission was to make sure people were finally ready for the King  to come. Jesus, therefore, couldn't start until the paths were made straight.

     Jesus mission on earth is the great light that has appeared in the darkness. In…